Sunday 30 December 2012

So let's talk money

I've said previously that I wanted 2013 to be the year we pay off our overdraft and credit card debt (overpaying the mortgage can wait until we have savings).

Since discovering Queen Frugal's blog back in May I have made slight adjustments. Froogs is such an inspiring role model, if I achieve half of what she has I'll be a happy woman.

I no longer have a tumble dryer, I've turned town the thermostat on the central heating and try and make do and mend. This year is the first time I've made Christmas gifts and also refrained from exchanging Birthday and Christmas presents with my OH.

Thankfully the OH is on board to help reduce our debt. On paper we should have enough money to clear our debts by January 2014 and have a small pot for a rainy day.

Tomorrow is the day I'll sit down and dissect our finances. I have an extra account there to save along with some glass jars for everyday spending. I already know that if I use cash instead of plastic the value of money is more real.

Bills will be paid, a strict budget for fuel and food will be decided, along with a budget for children's shoes, home DIY and car repairs etc. I don't go to the hair dressers, my credit card has been cut up, the new moto is 'if I don't need it, I'm not buying it'.

Before I collate all the information and formulate a plan, I know one of our biggest expenditure is on takeaways. Not because we particularly enjoy them, more out of pure laziness.
We have no excuse, I consider myself to be a good cook. I bake bread, make meals from scratch and always manage to cook something from the store cupboard. I need to utilise my skills more.

One barrier I need to overcome is the OH's need to have a cooked breakfast every day. I don't mind cooking, it's the cost. Bacon, sausage and eggs are not as cheap as they used to be. OH when on shift, functions better if his breakfast is like a kings, dinner like a prince and supper like a paupers. Hopefully to reduce our food budget he will eat a non meat breakfast on his days off.

I will batch cook and use my slow cooker more. I promise to save my left overs and have them for tomorrows lunch. I know I can do this, I just need to get organised.

Hopefully the car will only be used for necessary journeys and I will stop buying magazines and books.

Tomorrow I will post my strict yet achievable budget, but until then I'm off to drink wine and enjoy good conversation with good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment