Thursday 13 December 2012

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Well I've done it, the decorations have been dusted off and I've strategically placed them around the front room.
Pictures have been draped with winter garlands, snow globes unwrapped, the wreath is on the front door to welcome visitors and the stockings are hanging above the fire. The plan was to get a real tree this year, but there is so much yet to do. So sadly the artificial one is out if its box, erect and waiting to be decorated.
Hopefully we'll get it done as a family on Saturday.

What is Christmas? A Christian festival celebrated by billions of people to commemorate the birth of Jesus Christ.

The popular custom is to exchange gifts and cards, carolling, eat far too much and display decorations and a tree.

There are many other traditions that are unique to various countries, however it seems the significant event is a key sales period for the shops.

This year I'm doing it differently, yes my daughters will still get presents, but not as many. I am making a lot of gifts for friends and family too. Yes it is less expensive, but I think the personal touch means so much more.
We have made a promise, if we can't buy it with cash, we don't buy it at all! I refuse to get into debt this year. The girls may feel slightly disappointed that there isn't a mountain of presents to unwrap, but hopefully spending time making good memories will be remembered instead.

We didn't have much money when I was younger, fond Christmas memories where about sitting watching 'Only fools and Horses' with my patents and watching my Dad pick at the Turkey late on into the night. My mum singing and dancing in the kitchen whilst preparing the meal. It was never about the presents. In fact I can't really remember any specific Christmas presents.

So hopefully by early next week my cards will be ready to post, the tree will be decorated and presents will be hidden away for Santa to deliver on Christmas Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment