Wednesday 9 January 2013

Make it happen

After feeling pretty rubbish for the past couple of days today my mood is finally improving.
I've managed to get through the day without the urge to shop.
Although I haven't needed to buy anything for a couple of days, I've still felt the need to buy, everything, anything.

This episode of very limited funds has shown me I can do it. I can reduce my spending and reduce my debts.

After a difficult day at work I would normally come home and ring for a takeaway. But instead I raided my store cupboard and rustled up a healthy cheap meal of bacon mushroom tomato pasta.
From cupboard to table in 25mins, quicker, healthier and so much cheaper than a takeaway.

Here is what I did:
Chopped 2 small onions
3 cloves of Garlic
Handful of mushrooms chopped
4 rashers of smoked bacon diced
300ml approx of Pasata
Olive oil
Salt & Ground pepper to season
Pinch of sugar
Left over red wine (3 ice cubes) optional

Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil to soften. Add bacon and mushrooms. Once soften pour Pasata and add ice cubes.

Bring to boil then reduce to cook off alcohol.

Season to taste along with a pinch of salt.

To add a bit of a kick I added a couple of splashes of Tabasco sauce.

Simmer away until reduced and thick, stir into cooked pasta. I made enough sauce to serve 4.

Wine ice cubes? I've done this for years and I'm not sure where I read it. Not that I drink a lot of wine, but if I do have any left over, I freeze into ice cube trays. Then when I making anything like casseroles or pasta dishes I pop a couple in for added flavour.

I can do this, I can make things happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment