Friday 11 January 2013

Couch to 5K

So this year is all about rediscovering myself, reducing my debt and most of all living!!
One thing I've always fantasised about doing is sticking on a pair on running shoes, head phones with my favourite tracks playing and just going for a run without feeling like I'm going to die.

After careful consideration and research I've decided to embark on the couch to 5K challenge. This programme endorsed by the NHS gives you programmes to follow to enable to you to build up to a 5k none stop run. All the literature suggests that it can be done in 8-9 weeks, so I'm going to give it a go.

Last night i hunted out my running shoes, sports bra and earphones and set my alarm for 5am.
to be honest I'm usually up and about then anyway. I walk the dog most mornings between 5:30 and 6am so it wasn't a big deal.

arranging time for exercise i can do alone, tends to be difficult. I have issues with childcare, so i have to plan to squeeze it in when the OH and kids are still in bed. Early mornings seem to be the perfect time.

So as planned i braved the crisp morning air and ventured outside.

Day 1 Week 1

The 20minute programme involved a 5minute walking warm up, then 15 minutes of 1 min run + 1.5 min walk 6 times. Followed by a 5 minute cool down including stretches.

Thankfully its wasn't as difficult as i thought it would be and although it left me warm sweaty and slightly breathless, i didn't want to curl over and die.

Top Tip (can't remember who told me) to stay in the fat burning zone, when completing exercises to prevent over breathing, keep your mouth closed and breath through your nose. It definitely makes a difference because i do seem to sweat more (maybe too much info).

So after my 1st attempt i feel good, i may regret it tomorrow when i cant move, but watch this space.





No comments:

Post a Comment