Wednesday 2 January 2013

Every silver lining has a cloud

Just when I thought things where finally looking up, something comes along to take the wind from my sails.

My 2013 challenges are going great, I've not spent any money since 27th December (bus fare doesn't count) and even after all the bills of Christmas have been paid, we have enough money left until pay day to survive and pay extra off our credit card.

Then comes the blow....
I return to work today to be informed we are relocating at the end of the month. This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't increase my commute time to 1.5 hours. Now I know that may not seem to drastic for some, but for me it's the tip of the iceberg. The major issue I have is that it affects childcare.
I don't have the luxury of family support to help with regular childcare, so I rely on afterschool and holiday clubs. Our primary school only accommodates children until 5:15.

At the moment I work 2 miles away from school and with public transport I can be there in 25mins. I just take the time from my lunch break. No issues, the boss is happy. In order to get to school on time I will have to leave the new place at 3:45pm to make it in time. This isn't going to work.

What are my options?

I can't afford another car.
My OH can't rely on public transport if he finishes at 3am, so no family car for me.
It's too far to cycle and time consuming
Changing childcare is almost impossible for two children in my area.
I can't afford to give up work or reduce my hours to part time.

I feel like banging my head against a wall!
Why is it so difficult being a working Mum?

Think I'm going to have an early night and sleep on it. Hopefully a miracle will happen overnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment